Pilot plant activities
PASSENGER has an ambitious objective of replacing permanent magnets containing rare-earth elements (REE) with elements based on natural resources abundant in Europe. Activities led by the project partners will consist in substituting these elements, and integrating them in electromobile devices.
3 main Pilot Actions will each be divided into different steps and implemented by project experts in 8 different Pilot Plants across Europe.
Substitution by Mn-Al-C magnets
- Fabrication of MnAlC powder: cast alloy production and gaz atomisation techniques.
- Fabrication of a MnAlC-based compound for bonding technologies
- Fabrication of Mn-Al-C bonded magnets
- Fabrication of Mn-Al-C fully dense magnets
- Fabrication of Mn-Al-C sintered magnets
Complete substitution of traditional RE magnets with new Mn-Al-C magnets
Substitution by improved ferrite magnets
- Fabrication of improved ferrite powder
- Fabrication of a ferrite-based compound for bonding technologies
- Fabrication of improved ferrite bonded magnets
- Fabricatin of fully dense improved ferrite magnets
- Fabrication of improved ferrite sintered magnets
Partial substitution of traditional RE magnets with improved Sr-ferrite magnets
Integration of the new magnets
- Implementation of PASSENGER magnets in gearboxes and actuators
- Complete substitution with PASSENGER magnets in e-scooters, e-bikes and e-motorbikes
- Substitution with PASSENGER magnets in e-cars: sensing, gearshifts, drive- and brake-by-wire, active suspension controls, headlights range adjustment and battery management
- Substitution with PASSENGER magnets in the rotor of a pump motor
Integration and validation of the newly developed RE-free magnets
- Pilot activities in pilot plant #1 lead by LCM
- Pilot activities in pilot plant#2 lead by Metalpine
- Pilot activities in pilot plant#3 and #4 lead by Barlog Plastics
- Pilot activities in pilot plant #5 lead by Ingenieria Magnetica Aplicada SA
- Pilot activities in pilot plant #6 lead by Wilo SE
- Pilot activities in pilot plant #7 lead by Industrie ILPEA
- Pilot activities in pilot plant#8 lead by Kolektor Group
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the project’s
lastest news, development and results.